Situated in the Raigad district of Maharashtra, India, the Raigad Fort (meaning Royal Fort) once was the capital of the Maratha Empire. Construction of several structures on the fort took place after Chhatrapati Shivaji made it his capital in 1662. There were about 300 stone houses, mansions, palaces garrisons, and a market which was a mile long on the fort. The fort also had decorative gardens, pillars, pathways, and water reservoirs.
The Raigad Fort was designed in such a way that it was accessible only for family and friends but impossible for the enemy to intrude.
The only main pathway to the fort goes through the “Maha Darwaja” (Huge Door) which would be close at sunset. The fort also has two rather tall bastions on both sides of the road which are approximately 20–21 m in height.
The fort situated 1,356 m above sea level in the Sahyadri mountain range has a massive size. It stretches about 2.5 km from East to West and 1.6 km from North to South. There are 1737 steps leading to the fort.