Ali was spotted crying and clutching his cat as he struggled to comprehend what had happened to his home and the dozen hens.
The tragedy of an elderly man and his cherished cat, who watched his home burn down helplessly, was witnessed by the locals of Ordular village in western Turkey’s Mudurnu region on Wednesday.
When trying to ignite his heating stove with gasoline, 83-year-old Ali Meşe unintentionally set the fire.
However, his attempts to start a fire failed and resulted in an explosion in the living room, which caused the one-story timber house to burn to the ground. When neighbors saw the fire, they promptly called the fire department, who arrived just in time to save the old man, his wife, son, and cat.
The house’s horrified owner was spotted sobbing over the death of his hens while cuddling his terrified cat. Meşe reported that “13 of the 14 hens in the basement perished in the fire.”
Meşe, his wife, and their two sons were helped by the neighborhood authorities after a fire destroyed their home and left them homeless. Ibrahim Kaln, the spokesperson for the president, tweeted that he spoke with the governor of the province where Meşe resides, Bolu, and that the governorate assured him that they will take care of his “needs and those of uncle Ali.”
Kaln tweeted, “Let’s keep him and his kitty warm.” A campaign to aid Meşe was also organized by social media users.
Don’t miss the video: